Sunday, January 10, 2010

Turkey Burger with Sweet Potato and Pecan Topping


Turkey Burger with Sweet Potato and Pecan Topping

I saw a posting online last week regarding a sweet potato, pecan burger. I went searching for the recipe, which I learned was featured in the recent issue of Cooking Light magazine.

When I found the recipe, it was actually a patty made out of mashed sweet potato, rolled oats, ground pecans and onions. The reviews were overwhelmingly negative and the thought of the patty's texture turned me off.

I was still intrigued by the flavor combinations, so I decided to create my own version. This is a wonderful blend of classic fall comfort foods. The combination of textures - provided from the crunchy pecans, caramelized sweet potatoes with their chewy edges and the slightly charred grill marks on the burger patty - takes this burger to the next level.

Turkey Burger with Sweet Potato and Pecan Topping

Ingredients
Frozen Lean Turkey Burger Patty
Schwan's roasted sweet potato chunks
Chopped pecans
Brown Sugar
Butter
Balsamic Vinegar
Onion Powder
Salt & Pepper

Directions
Sprinkle the turkey patty with onion powder, salt and pepper.
Grill turkey patty until cooked through over medium heat - about 3-4 minutes per side.

While the burger is grilling, place 1/2 cup of sweet potato chunks and the chopped pecans in a small bowl. Top with 1/2 tablespoon of butter, spoonful of brown sugar and a drizzle of the balsamic vinegar. Microwave for four minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender all the way through.

Top the grilled turkey burger with the sweet potato and pecan mixture. I prefer to serve this without a hamburger bun.

4 comments:

  1. Do you make your own turkey patties or can you find them here in Phillipsburg?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually prefer the frozen to making my own. If I could get fresh, ground turkey meat, I would probably make my own. But the ground turkey that comes from the tube is really sticky and hard to form into patties and not have it fall apart on the grill.

    I get the turkey patties, already formed and frozen, at Whites. They are located in the freezer section, right by all the breakfast sausage. I try to wait until they go on sale and then stock up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How would I do this with a fresh sweet potato? I don't have access to Schwan's here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For using fresh sweet potatoes, I would peel and cut it into chunks. Spread the sweet potato chunks onto a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Roast the sweet potatoes in the oven until golden brown around the edges.

    ReplyDelete