Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Oreo Truffles

This morning the house still had the wonderful smell of the cinammon rolls I baked last night in the air. My morning breakfast of a granola bar just didn't measure up to what I had made last night. Luckily, they are safely tucked away in the freezer waiting for Christmas morning.

This afternoon, I checked off another item from my Christmas baking list: oreo truffles. Tonight I hope to get the spiced pecans made, leaving just the cookies left to make. (I don't want to make those too early so that they have less of a chance to go stale get eaten by me.)

The Oreo Truffles recipe is from Kraft and only calls for three items - oreos, cream cheese and melted chocolate.

My cheap self went with the generic Oreos.

I ground up the Oreos in my mini food processor and than mixed 3/4 of the oreo crumbs with one package of cream cheese. I rolled about 1/2 tablespoon of the mixture into uniform sized balls.



While I melted the chocolate in a glass bowl over simmering water, I chilled the balls in the freezer for easier dipping. I dipped the oreo balls in semi-sweet chocolate using a toothpick. I like the balance the slight bitterness of this chocolate gives to the very sweet filling. To make for easier coating, I thinned the chocolate out with a small amount of vegetable oil. I didn't want the chocolate coating to be very thick on these, as they are so sweet.



After dipping all the truffles, I drizzled them with white chocolate and than topped with some holiday colored sprinkles.



When Jim came home, he was so excited that I was making the cake balls I've made before. I had him test these out and he said he liked them...but preferred the cake balls better. I'm on the fence of which one I like better between the two. These win on simplicity and ease but taste, to me, is pretty even.




No comments:

Post a Comment