Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Drinking My Spinach

If you follow any of the popular healthy living or fitness blogs, you have probably already heard of Green Smoothies. I'm not inventing anything new here.


However, must people in my circles have not heard of incorporating spinach into smoothies and look at me like I've lost my marbles when I start talking about drinking a "green monster" and raving about the taste and how they make me feel. (or when I mention making spinach pancakes but I've already told you about those.)

I crave these smoothies, especially after a hot run. It's amazing how our bodies tell us what they need. (Of course, my stomach is usually screaming over the spinach cravings and telling my body that what it really needs is s'mores.)

I have a few favorite versions but the one I am going to share with you today is my go-to default mix.

In the mix: Unsweetened Almond Milk (less calories than skim milk), 1-2 Large Handfuls of Spinach, 1/2 Frozen Banana (makes it thick and creamy textured like a milkshake). This is the base to every smoothie that I make.


Today I added cocoa powder and a spoonful of peanut butter. I can't get enough of the chocolate/peanut butter flavor combo.

Put everything in a blender and blend until smooth. 


Pour into a glass and enjoy! I promise that it won't taste like spinach at all! You'll get your nutrients and vegetables in a yummy, thick chocolate treat. 

My son also loves these. We like to experiment with different frozen fruit combinations and Ethan really likes banana and pineapple green smoothies as a refreshing treat on hot summer days.

If you are looking for additional green smoothie recipes, here are some from bloggers that originally gave me the idea and nerve to try these in the first place. Meals & MovesPeanut Butter Fingers, STUFT Mama


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link! And LOVE the cool glass. :) Now if everyone only knew how amazing these smoothies are....... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got the gift at a White Elephant Christmas gift exchange. I love it!

    ReplyDelete