Monday, December 28, 2009

Caramelized Pecans - Sweet, Salty & Deep Fried

These Caramelized Pecans are my all time favorite snack that I make for Christmas. They are the perfect combination of sweet, salty and crunchy.

The recipe for these couldn't be easier. Make sure you make a large batch, these babies are addicting!
  • Boil pecan halves for 3 minutes
  • Drain pecans and generously top with powdered sugar
  • Stir the pecans to melt the powdered sugar and create a glaze over the pecans. Add more powdered sugar, if needed, to make the glaze nice and thick.
  • I add the powdered sugar and stir to coat all in the strainer to cut down the amount of dishes. The thick glaze won't fall through the strainer's holes.
  • Cook the coated pecans in hot oil (350 degrees) until deep brown. It will take about 3-5 minutes, depending on the size of the batch you are frying

Of course I have a fryer, I'm a Kansan.
You can also do this in a skillet if you don't have a fryer.
  • Use a slotted spoon to remove pecans from the oil and spread over wax paper to cool
  • While still warm, sprinkle lightly with cayenne pepper for a light, spicy kick and generously with kosher salt.
  •   See the yummy salt specs? Don't be afraid to add it on liberally.
  • Once cooled, break apart the clustered pecans and store in an air tight container.
I hope you enjoy these pecans. They really are amazing! My Dad can eat an outstanding quantity of these things. Every year, he claims they are good enough to sell. I can't think of a better compliment.

No comments:

Post a Comment